Rheumatology Rehabilitation – Edmonton
The Rheumatology Rehabilitation Team at the University of Alberta Hospital in Edmonton, provides assessment, treatment and disease-management education programsfor individuals living with rheumatic disease. All rheumatology rehabilitation services are accessible by referral from a rheumatologist.
Occupational Therapy Services
Occupational therapists help people evaluate their activities and environment to attain optimal well-being and participation in meaningful activities. On the Rheumatology Rehabilitation Team, occupational therapists work with individuals to:
- Assess and address issues related to activities of daily living
- Explore the physical, psychosocial and environmental impacts of disease on meaningful activities
- Help people learn about their disease and how to manage it
- Splint to protect damaged joints, reduce pain, limit deformity and enable function
- Help people identify and liaise with community resources and support systems
Rheumatology occupational therapists address topics such as joint protection, posture/positioning, fatigue management, pain management, relaxation/stress management, activity aids and adaptations, environmental adaptations, fall prevention, footwear recommendations, and personal problem solving / motivation.
Physical Therapy Services
Physical therapists work with people to help relieve pain and achieve optimal physical functioning, helping individuals return to their maximum level of performance. On the Rheumatology Rehabilitation Team, physical therapists work with individuals to:
- Assess and improve/maintain range of motion, strength, fitness and functional mobility
- Address pain, swelling, inflammation and other physiotherapy concerns through exercise prescription, manual therapy and the use of modalities
- Help people learn about their diseases and how to manage it
- Help people liaise with community resources and support systems
Rheumatology physical therapists address topics such as appropriate exercises for specific disease conditions, fitness, flexibility, mobility, strength, and personal problem solving/motivation.