Rehab Education Programs – Edmonton
Group Education Programs:
Rheumatoid Arthritis Group Management Program – “Managing Your RA”
- Empowering persons with rheumatoid arthritis and other inflammatory arthritis to actively manage their health and achieve a better quality of life.
- Four consecutive days (Monday-Wednesday 8:45 a.m. – 3:15 p.m.; Thursday 8:45 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.)
- Facilitators: Physical Therapists (PT), Occupational Therapists (OT), Therapy Assistant, Rheumatologist, Pharmacist, Psychologist, and Dietitian
- Sessions include teaching presentations, group participation classes, and opportunities for individual PT/OT treatment.
- Topics addressed: joint management, methods to relieve pain, joint protection for daily activities, fitness, exercise participation (range of motion, strength, posture, pool), fatigue management, relaxation, nutrition, psychology, pharmacy management, medical update, and goal setting to achieve change
- Individual assessment with the Arthritis Care Team Physical Therapist and Occupational Therapist prior to program, and individual follow-up appointment 2 months post-program
- Additional individual treatment may be arranged if indicated.
Ankylosing Spondylitis Group Management Program – “Managing Your AS”
- Empowering persons with ankylosing spondylitis and other spondyloarthritis to actively manage their health and achieve a better quality of life.
- One full day (Friday, 8:15 a.m.-4:15 p.m.)
- Facilitators: Physical Therapist (PT), Occupational Therapist (OT), Therapy Assistant, Rheumatologist
- Sessions include teaching presentations and group participation classes.
- Topics addressed: introduction to spondyloarthritis, pain and stiffness, fitness and recreation, exercise participation (flexibility, strength, posture), tips for daily living, managing fatigue, medical update, and goal setting to achieve change
- Individual assessment with the Arthritis Care Team Physical Therapist prior to program; Occupational Therapist assessment arranged if indicated.
- Follow-up appointment with the Physical Therapist 2 months post-program and additional individual PT/OT treatment may be arranged if indicated.
All Arthritis Care Team Physical and Occupational Therapy services are accessible by referral from a Rheumatologist.
If you are interested in attending either of the above programs, please discuss it further with your Rheumatologist.
Fibromyalgia Education Program
- This community based group session will give you information about fibromyalgia. The information will be provided by a team of health care providers including a rheumatologist. Classes are offered at various locations across the Edmonton Zone. You can register directly by calling 780-401-BOOK.
- These sessions are free. You can call directly to choose the dates and locations that work best for you.
- You can also bring a family member or other support person with you. Just mention that when you call to register.
- For other community education classes, click here.