DeAnna from Edmonton asks: Do I have to be in a pain flare to be tested for rheumatoid arthritis?

Rheumatoid arthritis is diagnosed by an arthritis specialist, usually a rheumatologist, after speaking to a patient, performing a physical examination, and reviewing any pertinent investigations.  It is possible for all tests to be normal and still have rheumatoid arthritis.  For a physician to diagnose rheumatoid arthritis, it does not have to be at its worst, or in a flare.

Posted: March 1, 2016


← Browse More Answers

What is Rheumatology?

Rheumatologists see over 100 different types of diseases. We are known for seeing arthritis, however, we also see many other conditions.

Learn More

Find us on YouTube

Visit our YouTube channel and find a number of helpful videos to learn more about a range of topics relating to rheumatology.

Visit our YouTube Channel

Make a Donation

Support arthritis care in Alberta. Click the button below for more info, or to make a donation today.